I write books! Not many, but I do! So far I published two books, with many more ideas on the shelf
The TypeScript Cookbook
I'm writing another TypeScript book! It's called The TypeScript Cookbook and will be published with O'Reilly in 2023.
This book can be seen as both an addendum and sequel to TypeScript in 50 Lessons. Where the previous book had a sharply defined audience and a clear path from absolute beginner to type system expert, the topics in The TypeScript Cookbook are much broader. You will learn about different configurations for project setup, strategies for correct type annotation, and workarounds when the type system is either too strict or too loose.
Furthermore, you will see use cases for string template literal types, variadic tuple types, the creation of your own library of helper types, as well as testing, type development strategies, and much, much more. With more than 100 "recipes" that you can refer to over and over again, the TypeScript cookbook shall fit on every TypeScript developer's bookshelf.
If you compare it to TypeScript in 50 Lessons, about 95% is entirely new content, with the last remaining 5% to be updated and brought into a different context. If you like this blog or my other book, be sure to check this one out as well.
TypeScript in 50 Lessons
I've teamed up with the fine folks from Smashing Magazine to produce a TypeScript book that brings newcomers from apprentice to master, and has a thorough deep-dive of the type system for experienced TypeScript developers.
Programming books have a tendency to become outdated very quickly. The moment you hold the printed version in your hands, the world has moved on and parts are out of date, or important lessons are left out. When I set out to write this book, my most important goal was that it had to be timeless. TypeScript gets at least two major releases a year, so there are new features and changes on certain aspects of the programming language.
We also tried to do something new, something maybe unseen with programming books. As we feature lots of code examples, we wanted to create an editor like feel when looking at code examples. Red squigglies when it errors, and beautiful syntax highlighting to make everything wonderfully legible.
This book is TypeScript for humans, so I want to give you the most human introduction to the programming language. The wonderful artwork by Rob Draper reflects this playful, gentle approach to teaching a highly technical topic.
Front-End Tooling with Gulp, Bower, and Yeoman
Based upon my articles and workshops on Gulp, I was invited by Manning to write a book on Front-End Tooling. It was one of the best-selling Early Access books Manning has produced!
Even though the tools might not be as interesting anymore as they were a couple of years ago, the techniques of streams, of a proper build pipeline, and of scaffolding still hold up. The basics you learn about package management are more than important for today's world of package management. So maybe give it a shot?
But if you do, take the code 39baumgar and get 39% off the original price!